Monday, September 10, 2007

The following is an interview of Lady Caroline and Dawnya Sasse from Tea Events. This interview will also be on Tea Radio in October. I hope you enjoy hearing more about my story.
Lady Caroline

Dawnya:What is your personal tea story?
Lady Caroline:I have always been passionate about tea and everything to do with the tea world. I am a girly girl. I love going to teas, I love dressing up for teas. I love the whole Victorian era and the presentation of afternoon tea. Tea is my passion.

Prior to owning my online store, I was in sales for 11 years and managed Dr offices for 14 years. These two worlds combined has given me the gifts and knowledge I needed to own my own business and it had to be about tea. I also learnt much about customer service and my goal is to
please my customers with number 1, great service, and 2 , well known and established products. I decided to reach the customers that know what they want and I strive to give them just that.

In striving to own a tea business, I have had to jump many hurdles and hit many brick walls. Because I am so passionate about tea, I did not give up. I encourage all of you to find your passion, and go with it. Don't give up. Yes, you will have failures and disappointments. I have been disappointed many times and have disappointed other people who had hopes in me. It is all part of the process. There is no true success without failures. I am still striving for that success.

Dawnya: What excites you most about tea?
Lady Caroline: To me tea creates an ambiance you cannot get from anything else. It's soothing, it's relaxing, it's romantic, it's and escape from our crazy world. It is peace.

Dawnya: Tell us about Market Spice tea? What is the history of this blend?
Lady Caroline: Market Spice is celebrating 96 years of making their tea . They opened a tea shop in Seattle at the Pike Place Market around 30 years ago and are still going strong. They make their tea with special spices everyday so you always get fresh tea. This tea has a very distinct flavor and aroma, much like the Chai tea that is selling now. Their plant is located in Redmond, Washington on the west coast just out of Seattle. They also make other
blends such as Rooibos African Red Bush Tea. This is an herbal tea that has many health benefits. Antioxidants are a great concern these days in the fight of cancer and disease. People have been turning to green tea for this. Rooibos tea actually has 50 times the antioxidants as green tea. It is a very mild and soothing tea. Market spice has also used their secret spice in many other products such as candles and cookies. We will actually be carrying a gift set this year for the holidays that includes these items. They are always expanding and adding new products. I will say, once you try the cup of Market spice tea, you will not forget the aroma or flavor. I have personally been drinking it for 30 plus years.

Dawnya: How did you determine to sell online versus a traditional store?
Lady Caroline: Many of the brick walls I hit was in financing. Small business loans are very hard to get and especially for women with no collateral. With starting and online store I had control of the inventory and how many products I wanted to carrying and could pace myself.

Also, we have to look at our world today. More people are shopping online these days and I wanted to reach the whole nation, not just my immediate community. This also gives me a chance to build relationships with other tea lovers that are passionate as I am. It's nice to be among like minded people.

Dawnya: What is the hardest thing about running an online company?
Lady Caroline: This is easy to answer. I love people and I wish I could meet every customer and see their faces when they receive their shipments. I send hand written thank you notes to each customer so I can add a little personal touch to cyber space.

Dawnya: How do you compete in the vast world of online tea?
Lady Caroline:I believe I carry good products and give excellent service. I strive to make every customer happy. Sometimes I even lose money because of it. But you know, I sleep at night. My website looks professional and my products are well known. I am not creating a new market. I am embarking on the established tried and true products people love. And, I want to carry what
they need to have the best tea experience at any level.

Dawnya: What types of products does your company carry and why?
Lady Caroline:We carry Market Spice tea and Rooibos Tea as we have discussed, Scone and Muffin Mixes from Iveta which only require 1 ingredient to be added to the mix. I believe this is important with women's busy lives, this Mix was chosen as one of Opera's favorite Products. I carry only one kind of teapot, Brown Betty because it is the best teapot. It is not the prettiest, but makes the best cup of tea. We have gift ideas and samplers such as Hatbox gift baskets and even some tea party games for adults as well as children. I think we have a well rounded selection. A new product we just added is a new cookbook featuring tea business owners private recipes. It is published by Teahouse Times and I believe, Dawnya that you and I have also
advertisements in this cookbook. The book is just beautiful and I think Tea House times did a beautiful job. We are looking forward to additional volumes.

Dawnya: If there were one thing you could have taught yourself BEFORE you started what would it be?
Lady Caroline: Be true to yourself and what you believe. Don't let well meaning people sway you from your dreams. Do what you are passionate about. Keep your eye on the sparrow for he watches over you.

Dawnya Sasse is the owner of Tea Events. I took my tea classes and certification through her
business. She is very well versed in the tea world and I have great respect for her.

Thank you Dawnya for this opportunity to share my story.

Lady Caroline

No comments: